Thursday, January 19, 2017

Pinwheel Quilt

   It's January, the perfect time of year to finish long neglected sewing projects...  Like this pink pinwheel quilt! Today was the day that I finally completed it!

   I am what you might call a practical, resourceful & frugal craftswoman. My creativity mixed with practicality hearkens more back to the days when woman sewed clothes for their families, knit mittens & scarves and pieced together crazy quilts to save money and not as a hobby. They used what they had. It maybe wasn't the best or nicest, but it kept the budget balanced, the family clothed and the house homey! Yeah that's me, I love being creative, but I am practical too... 

   Now quilting can be expensive... But it doesn't have to be!  I spent under $4 on this quilt! And my first quilt (pictured above with the pinwheel quilt) cost me nothing, besides my time! How? Rummage sales, thrift stores, and free boxes, plus a creative imagination and VOILA, quilt on the cheap! 😉 The white fabric with light pink flowers on it used to be a blouse. (From a free box!)  The only material I had to purchase was the border. Which I bought after I had the rest of the quilt together, so I am very pleased with how well it matches the other fabrics! I decided to tie it, instead of quilt it. (I quilted my 1st one.) I do love the quilted look more I think, but tying was so fast and easy! 


    Both these quilts are "baby size", mostly because making a bigger quilt has sounded daunting to me in the past! But now that I have completed these, I am feeling more confident of someday starting a larger one! We will see.


   Since these quilts are baby-size  I will be tucking them away in my hope chest for, Lord willing, my own babies someday!  And, yes, I very intentionally made a blue one and a pink one!😊

6 comments:

  1. Ah yes, we share a creative and frugal soul! Your crafts-woman-ship is beautiful, thanks for sharing the details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aunt Beth! It is always fun talking to you about creative ideas, since we share that same passion and flair! :) Love you!

      Delete
  2. Well done! I am glad you saw the thrifty way to do it. I like quilting, but don't do it right now.
    Blessings!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! If you do start quilting again, do share your work on your blog! I would love to see a Harvest Lane Cottage quilt someday! :)

      Delete
  3. I really like the patterns and the colors that you chose to use. Your quilts turned out very beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Now I would love to hear from you! Please leave your thoughts in the comment section below!